Thursday, April 7, 2011

Check Your Campus Mailboxes

Last semester, something told me to check my campus mailbox. It had been a few weeks since I checked and I didn’t feel like making a trip to do so. Fortunately, I did. Comes to find out, I had an important deadline to meet the next day. If I didn’t meet this deadline, my financial aid would be in jeopardy. I submitted everything but who knows what the circumstances would be if not checking.


Students, constantly check your mailboxes. Get in the habit of doing so at least once-per-week. You never know what’s in them. Administrators always send information that is valuable to you and your parents. If you don’ feel like checking, do it for your parents. It would be unfair for them to suffer as a result of not knowing something.


Campus mailboxes can be full of unnecessary items. Items such as coupons to places you have no interest. Or advertisements about events you wouldn’t consider attending. When checking my mailbox for something important, it not only annoys me that it’s not there. But seeing junk makes it worse. I immediately throw it in the trash. To make a long story short, don’t let this persuade you to not check. There’s the possibility that you’ll find something you’re interested in. For example, I received news about potential internships. I may not have applied to the internships, but it was nice to know the companies that offer them.


In continuing on this topic, don’t brush off emails. Students tend to view the title of an email and either delete it or not read it. This is college. Anything sent to your campus email is likely important. I scan each one I receive. If it’s something I don’t need, it’s erased. I’m comfortable deleting it because already know what it’s about.


Check your emails daily, especially in the morning. One day, I went to class and no one was there. Comes to find out, the professor notified everyone through email that class was cancelled.


By the way, check ALL your email addresses. If you have a Yahoo and Google email, log into both daily. Don’t favor one over the other. Also, give people an email address that you know you’ll check. It doesn’t make sense to give someone your Yahoo address if you check it once-a-week.


Take advantage of mailboxes/emails. People have things to say; and sometimes, they can’t say it in first-person. That’s when mailboxes/emails come into play.

No comments:

Post a Comment