Monday, April 4, 2011

Don't Let Facebook Distract You

One night, I had a lot of homework to complete. After work study, I rushed to my room to do it. Just as I’m about to start, my friend calls to tell me about some pictures on Facebook. Me being nosy, I logged on to view them. After viewing them, other thinsg caught my attention. As a result, I spent an hour on Facebook. That wasted time proved detrimental because I had to stay up an extra hour completing my assignments.


Students, don’t be sidetracked by Facebook. It’s an addiction that will distract you from other activities.


During my first two years of college, I spent a lot of time on Facebook. It reached the point where I’d log on to it before checking my email. Some nights, I’d forget to check my email. Things had to change. I made the decision to gradually decrease my time on the site. Yeah, it took a while; but it worked. I can now go for days without logging on.


Facebook is every college student’s online destination. It’s a place to chat with old friends, view various content, and see what everyone is up to. Unfortunately, some overuse the site. I shake my head when hearing students say they spend hours at a time on it. I couldn’t imagine myself doing that even when I was addicted to the site. Students use Facebook as a break from homework and before you know it, one thing leads to another.


Staying off the site is easier said than done. Take a page out of my book and gradually decrease your time. You’d be surprised at how a little bit of practice will benefit. If you need a break, get away from the computer. If that doesn’t work, visit another site. When visiting other sites, you’ll get back to necessary tasks sooner.


If you’re not doing homework online, there’s no reason to visit Facebook. Only log onto the internet when doing something school-related. It helps when approaching the internet with a business mentality.


I don’t suggest eliminating Facebook completely. It’s ok to visit the site once or twice a day. But let the time be short. The only time to visit Facebook for an extended period is after you complete your priorities. Use it as a reward.


If none of these alternatives work, the only thing left is to delete your account; and that’s not happening. It shouldn’t reach that point anyway. Facebook is an enjoyable site. There’s a time to be and not to be on it. At the same time, we’re in school to get an education. The less distractions, the better we use our time.


No comments:

Post a Comment