Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Choose Your Schedule Wisely

As a freshman and sophomore, my class schedule was unlike other students. Because I knew I’d major in Journalism, the schedule mainly revolved around it. When declaring my major, my adviser told me I was in a good position because I’d already taken most of the requirements. As a sophomore, I could focus on my minor; and wouldn’t have to stress over what major classes to take.


Students, choose as many major courses as possible. Don’t overload with easy electives because they won’t help you after college. When choosing your schedules, focus on major, minor, and requirement classes. When it comes to requirements, get them out the way early. You won’t have to worry about them at the end of college when you should be focused on your major and the job market. For example, my classes are a little tougher this semester; which is the reason I’m glad I completed math and science requirements earlier. The thought of taking a math course the same semester as Accounting makes me cringe.


Every semester, I notice students in classes just for fun. They arrive to class late and show no interest in what professors are saying. I take it personal when students approach Journalism classes with this mentality because I take my major serious. Taking a class you have no interest in is a waste of yours and the professor’s time. You’re hogging a spot another student would be grateful to have.


An important step in choosing the right courses is to develop a plan. Make a list of all the requirements you need. After completing each class, check it; and make sure to take the unchecked ones the following semester. If you don’t know what to take, check the course catalog or ask your adviser.


Students want to enjoy college and are willing to take courses that will allow them to do so. But it’s a risky move. You don’t want to chance being in school an extra year because of one scheduling mishap. Every major has courses that are interesting. Before choosing a course, research it. For example, if you don’t want to take a minor class one semester because none interest you; focus solely on your major. It’s important to not forget the task-at-hand and take a minor course the following semester. But it comes down to knowing where you stand in getting your degree. All students don’t have the same flexibility. There will be times when you HAVE to take courses you don’t want. I recently chose my schedule and forced myself to choose a 7:55 class because it’s a major course. I could have chosen an Acting class instead but Acting is not in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment