Friday, January 28, 2011

Be Smart at Night

A few nights ago, stupid me decided to take a walk in the snow. Boredom caused me to say “hey, let’s go to the gym.”

As I get closer to the gym, the dumber I see myself. First, it’s snowing. And when I get to the gym, it’s closed due to inclement weather. I should have known it would close early.

Anyways, to make a long story short: Don’t make the same mistake I made. Be smart concerning your safety. There have been a lot of robberies on campus the past few years; and most of them happen at night.

This blog goes for males and females. Don’t go out unless you have to. And if you have to, hitch a ride or walk with a friend.

I know what you’re thinking: “Doesn’t this idiot realize we know this already?”

Yeah, I realize it; but for some reason people don’t get it. They still take chances thinking nothing will happen to them. I think the same way; which is the reason I went out the other night.

People walk at night like they’re untouchable. They say “nobody’s going to mess with me” or “I don’t have anything anyone wants.”

When they get robbed, they want to blame everyone but themselves. I hope people get smarter regarding this situation.

We live in a dangerous world where people don’t care. These days, a person won’t hesitate to pull a trigger or punch someone in the mouth. I know because I’ve seen most of it. I grew up in a tough neighborhood.

When people find out someone gets robbed, they either take it as a joke or brush it off. This is not a laughing matter. I’ve never been robbed, but I can imagine it’s a traumatic experience.

This is a problem that can be fixed. The smarter people get regarding their safety, the less it will take place.

And for the people who ignore this blog, keep a few things in mind. When you’re walking, stay alert. Don’t walk nonchalantly with headphones on or looking down at your phone. These things can wait until arrival at your destination. Look out for any suspicious activity. If you notice something ahead of time, do whatever you can to prevent it. And always look behind you.

People also make the mistake of walking on side streets at night. That’s a no-no. Stay on a street where there’s a lot of activity.

Like you, I must learn to do these things. You should keep what I said to you in mind. Care about your safety as much as you care about your family. In the end, family members will feel the pain of getting robbed as much as you.



No comments:

Post a Comment