Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Play Intramurals

This school year, I’ve had the pleasure of participating in intramurals for the first time. After two years of wondering what the experience is like, I finally got the opportunity.

If not for my roommate, I’d still be wondering. He signed us up for basketball. There was no way I would pass this opportunity up.

We’ve had our ups and downs as a team, but it doesn’t matter. We’re not getting paid and we’re not an official team. We do it for fun.

I wonder why other college kids don’t try intramural sports. As a matter of fact, I know why.

There’s the belief that intramural sports are inferior to intercollegiate athletics. Students are too prideful for intramural sports.

I must admit: Pride was one of the reasons I hesitated to play my first two years. When I first got to college, I was determined to join Lehigh’s football or basketball team. No one could tell me I wasn’t good enough. No one could stop me from trying out.

 Graciously, I came to my senses and didn’t try out.

Anyways, I encourage people to try intramurals. There is nothing to lose. I promise.

It doesn’t have to be basketball or football. Intramurals range from volleyball to frisbee. Intramurals are a league Of their own. They have the potential to make you feel as if you’re playing in front of 20,000 people with a national championship on the line. The competitive nature of intramurals makes me feel this way every time I step on the court.

Playing intramurals is the one time you feel like a pro athlete. When you get this feeling, it juices you up. You want to put it all on the line.

You can’t get these feelings sitting in your room wishing you had the potential of high-profile athletes.

I know how it feels to go to a basketball game and wish that was you on the court scoring at-will. I know how it feels to go to a football game wishing that was you running for a touchdown. And believe me, I still get these feelings. But intramurals have helped me ease the pain.

I know intercollegiate athletics are not in my future. I know the NFL or NBA will never happen for me.

But I won’t let it stop me from enjoying sports. That’s the same mentality everyone should have.

Folks, don’t feel embarrassed to play intramurals. No one is going to shun you. Just give it a shot. You never know what can happen.

Who knows? Maybe a coach will walk by one day and see your skills. Once he/she sees how good you are, maybe they’ll invite you for a tryout.

Now don’t get your hopes up too much. I was just throwing it out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment