Monday, January 31, 2011

Talk to your Parents

Every year I get back to college, I feel homesick. It’s usually toughest during the first week back. When I feel down, I call my mother. When I’m done talking, I feel much better.

I know what you’re thinking. You’re calling me every name in the book from “mama’s boy” to “softie.”

Hey, call me whatever. I don’t care. And that’s the same attitude everyone should have regarding their parents.

Many people take parents for granted. We only get one mother and father; so appreciate them. Take time each day to call your parents.

I have an obligation to talk to my mother every day. It’s something about hearing my mother’s voice that changes my day. Talking to her boosts my spirits.

College kids, don’t hesitate to pick up the phone and call your parents. Who knows? They may need to hear your voice as much as you need to hear theirs.

One day, I asked a young man on campus when he last spoke to his parents. He said it had been a little over a week.

I thought to myself: How can anyone go that long without speaking to their parents? Not me.

I know everyone doesn’t have a strong relationship with their parents. I know some kids blame their parents for a lot of their issues. But, get over it. Don’t let those issues be the reason for lack of contact.

Not only talk to your parents, but tell them you love them. Believe me, they love you. If they didn’t love you, you wouldn’t be in college. If they didn’t love you, you wouldn’t have a place to stay when you go home. If they didn’t love you, how would you have that nice Lexus?

Exactly.



Parents want to see appreciation for everything they’ve done for you. And expressing your love will make them aware.

College students have a lot of issues, ranging from academic to social. They tend to keep their feelings bottled up. This trend has to stop. What better individuals to go to than your parents?
That’s what they’re here for.



Anyways, start treating you parents like you do your girlfriend or boyfriend. If you have a requirement to talk to him/her every day, why can’t you have the same obligation regarding your parents?

It’s not fair to only call your parents when you need something. That’s a use job. When you only call for special reasons, it sends a bad signal. Your mentality is: I really don’t want to talk to you, but I have to because I need you for something. Parents have feelings too. And they have every reason to be hurt when you only call for reasons like this.

Anyways, take heed to what I said. How about picking the phone up now? What do you have to lose?






No comments:

Post a Comment