Monday, January 24, 2011

Enjoy reading

One day, as I was passing time between classes, I headed to the bookstore. Of course, I went to the sports section and glanced over a few magazines.

Ok, I did more than glance. I actually read a few articles.

But anyways, those magazines did something positive for me. After I finished reading, I felt refreshed and my head was clear of clutter.

What these magazines did for me is what they can do for everyone else. I encourage everyone to take a break from their daily routines and pick up a newspaper or magazine.

Folks, don’t view my suggestion as a task; view it as a hobby.



I read a newspaper or magazine any time I can. When I need to clear my mind of school, I pick up one. It not only refreshes me, but I see things from a different perspective.

Before I pick up a newspaper, I’m either stress or tired.

However, something about the paper energizes me. I don’t know what it is, but it doesn’t matter.
While I’m reading, a feeling of freedom overtakes me. It’s the one point during the day where I’m doing optional work.

When reading for a class assignment, you have to read every piece of information. You even scan over a few paragraphs multiple times due to fear of missing important information.

However, when you read a newspaper, you can read whatever you want. You won’t get penalized if you don’t know what happened in the city next to you. You won’t get penalized if you don’t know the day’s temperature. You won’t get penalized if you don’t know the score to a game.

You get the picture.



The newspaper experience is enhanced because you read whatever section you want. You have the choice of local news, lifestyle, sports, and much more.

The newspaper has something for everybody.

And for those with the bogus excuse of sitting behind a desk on a computer all day: Newspapers and magazines can be accessed online.

 I find myself reading online more than print news.



Whenever I’m doing school work online and need a break, I go to my hometown’s newspaper site to read none other than sports.

Keeping up with the Giants, Jets, and Nets (sigh) is a must. OK, let me get back to the point.

Reading something that reminds me of home gives me a sense of freedom. Being in college can seem like jail at times.

When reading my hometown newspaper online, the shackles come off for a moment. It’s one of the few times in school where I feel at home.

If newspapers and magazines do this for me, I know they can do the same for everyone else. They won’t make everybody feel the same things I feel, but they’ll help in some way.

Guaranteed.


No comments:

Post a Comment