Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Be Aware of Deadlines

For a two-day stretch, I got lazy. Yeah, you know how that goes. I spent the early part of the week preparing for a test and burnt out a little bit.  I should’ve waited a few more days to burn out. I forgot about a project and paper that were due in the upcoming days. As expected, I spent the next two days stressing over the assignments.


Students, be aware of deadlines. Don’t allow yourself to be in the same position I was. It is stressful trying to get assignments done at the last minute, especially the ones with major impacts on your grade.


The most important thing is to pace yourself. After learning about an assignment, don’t brush it off because it’s not due until weeks later. Gradually, work on it. The earlier you start, the better you’ll feel about the assignment. And don’t make the mistake of working on the assignment too early so you can get it out the way. In reality, you’re rushing through it.


Regularly checking your syllabus also helps. When students receive a syllabus, they tend to ignore it after the first day of class. I always check my syllabus for due dates and other important information (i.e., how much an assignment is worth). It keeps me on track and reminds me to take an assignment seriously.


In keeping up with deadlines, you should ask yourself: “Is there anything due today?” or “What should I be doing today to help with the assignment due next week?” This requires stopping for a moment to think. Always reflect on what your professors say in class.


Being aware of deadlines extends past the academic realm. It also includes the internship process, joining clubs, and many other aspects. Everything involves a deadline. Waiting until the last minute to complete a job application decreases your chances of acquiring the job. The employer will say: this person likes to procrastinate; and will likely procrastinate on the job. The sooner you get the application done, the better.


Anyways, let’s shift back to the academic segment. Completing an assignment the night before it’s due is not a good feeling. For one, you feel ashamed for putting yourself in that position. You’ll also stress over how good or bad the assignment came out. This goes back to the point I made about feeling good regarding an assignment. If you complete a little bit every day, it takes the pressure off and makes you feel accomplished. You’ll say: wow, I put everything I had into this assignment without having to rush through it.



No comments:

Post a Comment