Monday, February 7, 2011

Support Your Team

Earlier this year, I went to a basketball game on campus. Fortunately, the team won. The team’s victory had nothing to do with the crowd; that’s for sure. And it’s disappointing.

Students are the reason many college teams dominate at home. Not at my school though. It disappoints me to see the arena or stadium half-full.

OK, I’ll stop lying. The arena barely approaches half-capacity. I’m used to seeing it that way. It doesn’t upset me as much as before.

Anyways, get out and support your team. This is directed at students at all universities. If there’s a home game on campus, take advantage of it. Your team needs you.

Students complain so much about how bad their teams are. They fail to realize their lack of support plays a role in that. I could understand if students had to pay to attend a game. But, they don’t.

There’s no excuse for students not to attend a game. Yeah, I understand the academic load can be tough to handle. But it’s not like that all the time. Student-athletes find ways to balance. Why can’t you?

When teams come out of the tunnel and see a half-empty building, it damages their psyche. They can’t get the adrenaline going because there’s not much of a crowd. If there’s no adrenaline, there’s no motivation to win the game.

It’s a shame for athletes to prepare so much for a game and not be rewarded. They love to see the student section packed and rowdy.

I had a chance to watch a few college games on Saturday. I took a moment to observe the crowd. And I thought: man, why can’t all crowds be like that? College athletics would be a blast.

For students to only attend games with significance ticks me off. It’s disrespectful to the team. Why attend when the team is doing well? Where not attend at the beginning of the season?

Students claim to have so much pride in their school, but they fail to show it. Attending an athletic event is a good way to show it.

Students must look forward to games as much as parties. Not only look forward to them, but get excited.

View athletic events as freedom from the academic hassles. That’s how I view them. When I attend games, it’s a chance to clear my mind. I have no choice but to focus on the game. I certainly can’t do school work in an arena.

Use this blog as motivation to attend a game. Give a shot. It won’t hurt you. Gather your friends and go together. The more people in attendance, the better.


No comments:

Post a Comment