Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Eat your Fruits and Veggies

During my first two years of college, I avoided fruits and vegetables. I didn’t avoid them on purpose; they just never crossed my mind. My goal was to eat as much of the good food as possible. During dinner, I would eat meat, pasta, and rice. If I was still hungry, I would grab a burger. This was not the healthiest of meals. This year, my eating habits changed for some reason. I make it a habit to eat vegetables every day. To be honest, it makes me feel good about myself.


Students, eat your fruits and vegetables. I know you’re tired of hearing it because you’ve heard it your whole life. But reality is: they’re good for you. They contain the vitamins and nutrients we need. Walking around campus can be tiring. We have to carry heavy book bags from class-to-class; and walk up and down hills on a daily basis. My school sits on a mountain; so I feel your pain. This may sound crazy, but fruits and vegetables help you physically. I’ve noticed a change in my physical endurance. Last year, I’d get tired after one game of basketball. This year, I can play three games without feeling fatigued. Eating healthier plays a role in my increased energy level; and it will do the same for you.


Studies show that fruits and veggies reduce our risk of chronic diseases, notably heart failure. They also reduce the risk of strokes. This should motivate you to eat healthier considering the stress we go through on a daily basis. Eating healthy refreshes and allows you to think clearly. Fruits and veggies serve as internal cleansers. They help clean whatever junk we eat.


As expected, fruits and veggies help control our weight. This should motivate the students who worry about how much weight they’ve gained lately. Healthy eating helps alleviate these worries. They give you one less thing to worry about. We have too much to focus on academically to worry about our weight.


In general, eating healthy makes you feel good about yourself. At some point, observe the differences in how you feel after eating a salad as opposed to a burger and fries. After eating a burger, you feel guilty and fat. After eating a salad, you feel healthy. Fruits and veggies are an alternative of working out. Your schedule may not allow you to work out as much as you should. Eating healthy is one thing you can do to stay in shape.


So when you’re at the food court, put a few vegetables on your plate. If you feeling like eating more, grab a fruit. Eating fruits and veggies is no longer a choice. They are a need.

No comments:

Post a Comment