Monday, February 28, 2011

Sit in the Front of the Class

Last year, one of my professors paid more attention to students sitting in the first few rows. I happened to sit on the next-to-last row. It was frustrating to see the professor show favoritism. Then, I thought a minute. The students on the last few rows didn’t pay much attention to him. He had no choice but to favor those students. After noticing, I sat on the first row for the remainder of the semester. I felt important because the professor noticed me. He called on me to answer questions and directly asked if I understood the material.


Students, sit in the front of the class. There’s nothing nerdy about it. You don’t have to be a genius. Professors respect students who do so. It lets them know you care and want to learn. I make it a habit to sit close in all classes. I want my professors to know I’m in the class. They won’t know you if you sit further back. You’re just “another student in the class”.


Sitting in the front makes students pay attention. They can’t text or talk; unless you’re rude. They have no choice but to understand the subject. Generally, students who sit in the front have higher grades. They take good notes because they comprehend better and are more engaged in class discussions. It’s a mystery why many students fail to realize the benefits.


Many students would like to sit in the front but they’re scared. Their friends are likely in the same class and they want to fit in. Students feel they’ll get teased with names such as “nerd” and “teacher’s pet”. One time, a girl sat in the front. Immediately, her friend started ragging her. I commend the girl for ignoring the comments and remaining seated.


Students also fear being called on. They feel that professors have a tendency to ask students in the front more questions. Students should take that as an honor. Professors don’t exist to embarrass students. Their job is to make sure we understand what’s going on. If we don’t, their job is a failure. So, don’t take it personal when called on. View it as an opportunity to increase your understanding. I relish being called on. I may not always know the answer but I’m willing to give it a shot. When I sat further back, I felt out-of –order. I didn’t feel a part of the class or discussions.  I couldn’t stand that feeling; which is another reason I appreciate being called on.


So don’t hesitate to sit close. Make it a habit by starting now. Classes don’t have assigned seats. We’re not in kindergarten. If your friends tease you, ignore them or invite them to join you. If they don’t, let them talk. They’ll notice the effects when viewing your grade compared to theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment