Friday, February 18, 2011

Talk to your Advisors

Last year, I had the opportunity to speak with my advisor. During the meeting, he outlined all the major courses I needed to take to graduate on time. He also told me exactly when I should take them. I still follow that outline and appreciate my advisor taking the time to organize it.


Students, talk to your advisors. Find out what you need to do in order to graduate on time. It would suck to scramble around during your senior year trying to figure out how you’re going to catch up on credits. It can be avoided by taking the time to see what courses you should be taking.


Students tend to get lackadaisical regarding their progress toward graduation. They assume they know it all and don’t need help in deciding their class schedule. It hurts me to see students in school for an extra semester.


Advisors not only help academically. They also assist in researching employment opportunities. Once again, don’t think you have to find a job on your own. Advisors have more connections than you think. You have to take advantage.


Most advisors have gone to college. They have experienced everything we go through on a daily basis. They’ve had their share of ups and downs, both academically and socially. Their college experience means they have solutions to many of our problems. More than likely, their solutions are better than ours.


Advisors are parents away from home. They keep us on track and make sure we’re doing what we have to do; like our biological parents do for us at home. I approach my advisor like a parent. I worry a lot when it comes to academics. I’m constantly thinking about whether I’m doing what needs to be done. That’s when I go to my advisor. After meeting with my advisor, I feel relieved of whatever was stressing me. I’m not saying you have to go to your advisor all the time. At least go once a semester. You never know what may change regarding your school’s policies; but your advisor knows. It would suck to be thinking one thing when your advisor knows the truth.


Advisors are approachable. It’s their responsibility to assist students and they don’t mind doing so. Whatever questions you have, they will answer without a problem. And if they don’t have the answer, they’ll refer you to someone who does; so it’s a win-win situation. Stop trying to figure everything on your own; because more than likely you never will.


No comments:

Post a Comment