Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dress Warm

About a week and a half ago, my friends and I went to a basketball game. One of my friends chose an interesting way to brave the low temperatures. He wore a hoodie. Hid mind told him he didn’t need a heavier coat.

As expected, he paid for that decision; and he’s still paying for it. He’s currently fighting flu-like symptoms.

The lesson here folks: Be smart when it comes to dressing for the cold. This weather is nothing to play around with.

Every day, I see tons of students walking around campus with hoodies and no hat. How could anyone be so brave in these temperatures?

I take no chances in the winter. I make sure to wear a heavy coat and hat every day. As much as I dress warm, I still catch about five colds per winter. I’m still trying to figure that out.

I wonder about students’ frames of mind during the winter. Do they think nothing will happen to them? Do they feel their skin is tough enough?

I would love to find the answers to these questions.




Anyways, check the weather in the morning. After checking, dress according to the weather. I can’t tell you exactly what to put on. Common sense should tell you that. If the temperature is 25 degrees, don’t go outside without a hat.  Don’t choose a cold day to show everyone your school spirit. Put on a decent sized coat.

Folks, I know it’s hard to let the summer go. But it’ll be back. Winter’s only here temporarily. What’s so hard about wearing a jacket for two months out the year?

People’s refusal to dress warm is the main reason the flu spreads during this time of year. So, start considering others when choosing how to dress.

The decision to dress warm not only benefits presently, but also in the future. I don’t mean to sound like a doctor right now, but I have to. The accumulated cold in your bones can lead to arthritis. No one wants to be arthritic. Arthritis makes lives miserable. I’ve seen it terrorize my grandmother. My grandmother’s pain is one of the reasons I dress properly.

So think about the future when you dress before going out. Envision yourself playing with your grandkids in the backyard or playing golf without health problems. I constantly think about these things.




Ok, let’s get back to the present.

Folks, life is not all about looking good and feeling comfortable. People fail to realize that. The desires to look good and feel comfortable during the winter are two reasons people dress improperly. I’ll take health over both of these any day. I wish more people had my mentality.





No comments:

Post a Comment