Friday, February 11, 2011

Take a Nap

This semester, I start classes at 7:55 two days a week. Bummer. That means I have to be up by 7. Bummer. Even though I finish classes at noon, I’m exhausted by then.

How do I cure my tiredness? You guessed right. By taking a nap. A person is never too old to take a nap. I nap whenever I get a chance. All college students should take naps when given the opportunity.

Studies show that naps increase memory, improve moods, and reduce stress levels among others. The afternoon is tough on many students; especially those who go to bed late. I don’t understand why students stay up half the night knowing they have to wake early. Hopefully, they make up for the loss hours of sleep. If they don’t, it’s time to start.

I’ve had some rough afternoons in college. Sometimes, I wonder if I’ll make it without passing out. And, I’m not being sarcastic. Naps allow me to finish my day strong. It improves my concentration and motivation to complete assignments.



Naps don’t have to be long. Five-minute naps are constant for me. I don’t need a two-hour nap to help finish the day. Speaking of long naps, they’re not a necessity. Studies show: the longer the nap, the longer you’ll be up at night. And the later the nap, the later you’ll stay up. I learned these lessons yesterday. I decided to nap late in the afternoon. As a result, I only got five hours of sleep. As expected, I’m paying for it. But you better believe I’m going to sleep soon.

Try to take naps as early as possible. Homework and the gym can wait. Don’t rush through everything so you can go to sleep. You’ll make things tougher. Taking a nap first will improve your performance academically and socially (i.e., working out). It’s a good feeling to take a nap, have a positive work out, and then complete your homework.

Taking naps create a positive cycle. They allow students to give their best doing school work and exercising. As a result, they feel accomplishment effects.



Taking late naps will develop a pattern of staying up late. It’s better to establish a good sleeping pattern. I’d rather sleep at night for seven hours than be up half the night because of a late nap.

Staying up late also causes lack of focus in class. How can you concentrate on your professor’s lesson after doing work all night? Good for the students who can because I know I couldn’t.



Anyways, don’t hesitate to take a nap. There’s nothing wrong with it. Don’t listen to all the bull about “naps being for babies.” It’s tough to fight tiredness; but you don’t have to.




No comments:

Post a Comment