Saturday, March 19, 2011

Be Smart with Your Vehicles

It’s a privilege for any college student to have a vehicle. I just wish students were smarter with the opportunity. Students love showing off their vehicles around campus. They drive with the roofs back and speed among other things. As a matter of fact, I wish I had the chance. However, I don’t, but I’ll blog about the issue anyway.


Students, be smart with your vehicles. Keep track of gas prices, mileage, and distances.


In mentioning distances, I mean be aware of where you should drive. If your class is a five-minute walk, take the walk. If the bus travels to your destination, take the bus. Don’t drive for the heck-of-it. It pesters me to see students waste gas. I know I’m cheap, but anyone with sense will agree with me. If my destination is within reasonable distance, I’m going to walk.


Gas is expensive these days. If I had a car, I’d keep it put as much as possible. I’d only drive wherever I NEED to go. I understand driving is the only way to get to most places; but many students overdo it. In evaluating whether to drive, students should ask: do I need to go or want to go? If students learn this tactic, they’ll save gas. Gas stations around college campuses thrive because students are nonchalant with the prices. I understand why students are careless with gas. They figure: if they run low on money, their parents will bail them out. Obviously, this isn’t fair. Parents are the ones who purchase the car; so why should they pay for gas?


Also, take care of your cars. Don’t show off by driving recklessly. What’s wrong with cruising? And don’t drive to a party for obvious reasons. Parents expect you to care for vehicles like you care for yourself. Some students are negligent because they didn’t pay for the car. They don’t develop this mentality on purpose. They just never take the time to consider all the money their parents put into the vehicles. Continuing on this segment, check your vehicles often. If a tire sounds flat, check it. If you hear an unusual sound while driving, investigate it. Brushing car problems off can be dangerous. I don’t need to discuss the dangers.


You may think I’m jealous, but I’m not. Sure, I wish I had a car. I’d love the opportunity to drive whenever I please. But this blog isn’t about me. It’s for the students who have vehicles. To those students: appreciate the opportunity to drive and use sense with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment