Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Keep Your Rooms Clean

Last year, my family came to visit. While visiting my apartment, they ragged me about its looks. I didn’t take it personal because it wasn’t my mess. The living room was dirty, there were noodles on the kitchen floor, and it was smelly. I rarely hung out in other parts of the apartment. After thinking, it was embarrassing on mines’ and my roommates’ parts. We dwelt in that mess daily. It’s a shame it took a family visit to feel bad.


Students, take care of your dorm rooms/ apartments. There’s no reason for your rooms to be smelly and dirty for a length of time.


Most students are used to living messy. Back home, they rarely cleaned and the habits transferred to college. But now it’s time to change. After cooking, wash the dishes. When the garbage runs over, take it out. If the floor is flooded with junk, vacuum it. Don’t watch your place accumulate with scrap. You never know who will make a surprise visit.


When it comes to cleaning, I tend to be selfish. My mentality: if my room or portion of the apartment is clean, the heck with the rest of it. I failed to realize that the apartment reflects everyone in it. My family didn’t care who made the mess.


The best way to keep your place clean is to divide the chores. Make sure everyone knows what they’re doing and when to do it. Many students fail at this task, including myself. Take the trash as an example. Everyone in the apartment will walk past a full garbage can for days until someone budges. The person that takes it out will be upset and call his/her roommates many names. This is a frustrating scenario for anybody.


College rooms become dirty due to a lack of cleaning supplies. When packing, bringing a vacuum or cleaning detergent is the last things on students’ minds. They fail to ask their roommate(s) who’s bringing what. If this situation occurs, everyone should chip-in and buy the materials. That way, everyone is entitled to them. Also, don’t hesitate to ask the maid for a vacuum. She wouldn’t mind lending it. As a freshman, I frequently borrowed the maid’s vacuum. Speaking of maids, many students become spoiled by them. For example, the maid cleaned our bathroom every week freshman year. The following year, the maid didn’t clean as often. It took us a while to adjust.


Cleaning comes down to pride. Keeping your room dandy should be a priority. Whoever doesn’t mind living in a smelly atmosphere needs to examine their self. I don’t understand how some kids allow their hampers to overflow and wear dirty clothes multiple times before washing them. When you keep clean, you feel good. I rejoice when people say my room smells nice.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting article.
    go to www.collegehelpcenter.org
    you will find your perfect college!

    ReplyDelete