Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Don't Change With the Weather

As spring approached last year, I went along with the flow. Surprisingly, we got a beautiful day. It had been cold all week. It was a rough winter and I was ready to celebrate warmer temperatures. I took advantage of this warm day by sporting a short-sleeve shirt with no jacket. The next day, the cold returned. I had no choice but to put my jacket back on. A few days later, I paid for my decision to dress lightly by catching a cold. I knew why because my mother told me countless times: don’t change with the weather.


Students, don’t overreact to unexpected weather changes. Weather changes daily. It can be freezing one day, hot the next two, and freezing again. We can’t control that. But we can control our approach. It’s important to dress smart. Don’t wear beach apparel because it’s hot, especially this time of the year. The end of winter/ beginning of spring period is the trickiest time of the year. This is evidenced by last week’s weather. For a two-day stretch, we got beautiful weather. It was sunny with a fresh breeze. Everyone thought winter was over. However, over the next few days, it got colder. In my school’s town, it snowed within the past twenty-four hours.


During the nice weather, I watched as students celebrated like it was summer. They wore flip-flops and had cookouts among others. It was tempting for me to rejoice like them; but I learned my lesson last year. I continued to wear a light jacket because I knew the weather would change; and I was right. It happens every year.


Not many people enjoy the winter. Everyone anxiously waits for warmer climates to arrive. When there’s an inkling of the sun, people go crazy. There’s nothing wrong with that; but don’t get your hopes too high.


I’m not suggesting to dress like an Eskimo when it’s nice. That’s crazier than changing with the weather. I’m saying don’t overdo it. Just wear a light jacket or, at least, a long sleeve shirt. If it continues to get warmer, gradually dress lighter. Also, don’t fall into the trap of believing it’ll be warm when spring begins on March 21. It takes time for the temperature to consistently be in the 70s and 80s.


So, hold off on the tank-tops and shorts. You’ll know when it’s really time to wear them. And don’t feel the need to dress light because everyone else is. There’s nothing wrong with being an oddball sometimes. I was one last week. You think I cared?

No comments:

Post a Comment