Friday, March 18, 2011

Take Good Care of Your Teeth

Earlier this year, I took a trip to the dentist. Prior to this visit, it had been almost two years since I saw a dentist. Like always, I was expecting a good report on my teeth. During most visits to the dentist, he/she commended me for keeping my teeth in good shape. But this appointment was unlike others. She chastised me for not taking good care of my gums and not flossing. As she scolded me, I remembered her previously telling me to floss. I was disappointed; but I was more upset for letting her down. She also warned me of cavities. That worried me more. I could never imagine myself with a cavity.


Students, take good care of your teeth. Make sure you brush every day. Not only brush, but floss as well.


College students get lazy when it comes to dental care. They’re in such a hurry during the morning that they forget to brush and rinse. I make sure to brush everyday; which is why I’m shocked to receive an average report. I’ve learned it takes more than brushing. Flossing is also important. Flossing gets the junk that brushing doesn’t. Studies show that brushing removes only 65% of dirt. To the students who care more about looks than health: flossing makes your teeth brighter by removing excess tooth particles and plaque. Failing to remove plaque can lead to gum disease and tooth loss among others.


Dental care leads to fresh breath. It’s not a good feeling talking to someone with smelly breath. It’s a problem that is fixed with good care. It’s important to at least brush and rinse every day.


Dental care will reduce teeth stains. It’s become too common seeing people with yellow teeth. How can they walk around like that? Students cannot expect to impress a date with nasty teeth. Your teeth are one of the few things people pay attention to. So, it helps to keep them clean.


I made the mistake of letting too much time past between dentist visits. Going almost two years without an appointment won’t cut it. The long layoff probably played a role in my diminished teeth care. Use my experience as a lesson. Try to see a dentist at least once or twice a year. You may think you’re doing everything right regarding your teeth; but a dentist tells you what’s wrong. Dentist visits are like a massage. Each visit, my dentist cleans out the dirt between my teeth. It astonishes me to see how unclean my teeth are at times. But that’s what dentists are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment