Saturday, March 5, 2011

Eat Dinner a little later

At the beginning of my college career, I used to eat dinner early. Everyone would tease me about it and I’d just brush it off. My mentality was: if I’m hungry, I’m going to eat. I failed to notice the implications of eating early. For one, I would get hungry at night. Also, not many other students ate early. It took me a while to realize these effects. I grew tired of starving late at night and seeing the same group of people every day I ate dinner. One day, I decided to eat later. What a good decision that was? The late dinner allowed me to eat with people I knew and hold off hunger the rest of the night.


Students, be conscious of the times you eat. Yeah, I know you’re supposed to eat when you’re hungry; but you have to sacrifice something. Whoever eats dinner early likely skips lunch. Their mentality is: I can afford to miss lunch because dinner will be in a few hours. Not only are you skipping a meal, but you’re unnecessarily starving yourself. That’s unneeded stress because no one should allow food to consume their thoughts. When students skip meals, they spend a lot of time pondering what they will eat later. Take a page out of my book. I used to eat an early breakfast and skip lunch. As a result, I couldn’t concentrate on homework until after dinner. You know why.


Most students eat dinner around 6 p.m. At that time, the food courts are packed and everyone is rushing trying to eat. And add the struggle of finding a seat to the equation. These were some of the things I purposely avoided. I didn’t have the tolerance to be around numerous people at once. But I’m glad people ribbed me for eating early. It forced me to eat late. Now, I don’t mind being around a bunch of people because I’m used to it.


I blogged last week about eating with others. Well, eating late is one way to do so. Not only will you eat late, but you’ll eat slowly due to others’ presence. No one eats fast when others are watching. The slower you eat, the later you’ll finish. The later you finish, the less hungry you’ll be at night. I skip breakfast some days after eating late because I’m still full. But I make sure to eat lunch. After eating lunch, I’m not hungry until about 6 p.m. You see what I’m saying? It’s about establishing a pattern. To the students that normally eat early, it’s an adjustments eating later. With a little practice, you’ll adjust.



No comments:

Post a Comment