Thursday, March 3, 2011

Don't Over-do in the Weight Room

One day in the weight room, I got confident. I felt strong and sensed I could lift anything. I decided to put more weight on the bar. I was also stupid for not asking someone to spot me. While bench pressing, I struggled getting the weights off my chest. Thankfully, someone noticed and assisted me. I learned a valuable lesson that day. I take no more chances when lifting.


Students, don’t lift more than you can handle. When you do, you risk injury and perhaps worst. Don’t allow adrenaline to pump you so much that you wind up like me. To the females: I know you don’t lift weights that much, but you can apply this lesson to any type of exercise you do.


The weight room brings the best out of students. They see others lifting more than them and become frustrated. Don’t get frustrated. The individuals who lift more are either built differently or have lifted longer. Just think: if you consistently lift for a while longer, you’ll be like them. Strength accumulates, so you have to work at it. Second, if they’re built differently, it means their body can handle lifting more. There’s nothing you can do regarding body frame.


Over lifting leads to improper form. I see many students lift weights incorrectly. They’re ruining parts of their body. When this happens, they’re likely lifting weight they can’t handle. Students need to focus on form rather than amount. Honestly, lifting wrong is cheating. Students may be able to lift the weight, but their muscles won’t develop because they’re using them incorrectly. I cringe when seeing someone do bicep curls with their back bent every rep. That’s begging for punishment.


There are ways to avoid these mistakes. Planning your progress is a good start. Not only plan, but stick to it. If you do, you’ll have no choice but to lift what’s in the plan. If you have trouble making a plan, don’t hesitate to ask for help. There are numerous trainers on campuses. Speaking of trainers, ask them for tips on lifting. You can’t go wrong with a trainer. Also, find a workout partner. Partners will keep your ego in check. If you’re doing something wrong, they’ll tell you. And so what if partners slow you down. If you want the best results, you’ll abide.


Be smart when lifting. Don’t damage your body and stress yourself because of weights. When over lifting, you strain which leads to head pains. And you know what head pains can lead to. I’m not trying to scare you. I want you to have the best success while lifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment