Monday, March 14, 2011

Keep Track of the Things You Need

Last year, I needed a few essentials. The week before I went home, I noticed my supplies were running low. I’m not only talking school supplies. I’m talking tooth paste, vitamins, deodorant, and all that good stuff. Yeah, there’s a store around campus; but I figured I’d pick these items up in my hometown. Unfortunately, I came back to school needing the same items. These items slipped my mind when I got home. I should’ve followed my instincts and made note of what I needed.

Students, keep track of your supplies inventory. If you see things running low, don’t procrastinate in picking them up.

If you hesitate, they’ll eventually diminish and won’t be available when you need them. For example, I caught a cold and had no medicine to take. While I noticed my medicine was running low, I brushed it off. Making matters worse was the fact that I caught the cold at night. Many of the stores were closed. One would think I learned my lesson from this experience; but unfortunately not. During spring break, I had numerous opportunities to purchase a new toothbrush. Once again, I brushed it off and now have to take a trip to the store.

If you have a tough time remembering, make notes. And place the notes where you can see them. What’s the use of putting notes in places you rarely look?

And I don’t want to hear the bull about lack of stores to buy items. There’s at least one convenience store around every campus. If the store doesn’t have what you need, ask your parents to mail it. They won’t have a problem doing so. One time, I needed a pair of khakis for an occasion. I couldn’t go to the mall because I didn’t have transportation. So, I called my mother and had the pants within three days.

I know students have a lot on their minds when it comes to school. The last thing they’re worried about is how much deodorant or tooth paste they have left. But just take a moment each week and observe what you need. It’s better to be safe than sorry. I was just thinking about students who don’t have a meal plan. They keep track of how much food they have in the fridge. If students keep track of other items like they do food, they won’t run low on anything.

This process comes down to organization. It’s important to stay on top of things. Don’t forget, we’re on our own. Our parents aren’t with us at school so they're clueless on what we need.



No comments:

Post a Comment